Tuesday 13 October 2009

Day 12 - The Kiss

We have this little sculpture which we have in our dining room that was bought for us some time ago.  I can't remember who bought it or what the occasion although I suspect it could have been a wedding anniversary.  We had a party for our 25th but I felt that we'd had it longer than that (7 years ago I think).  Anyhow the sculpture alternates its position, with the artificial flower display from Day 6, between the window sill and the wooden pedestal in the corner of the room.  The sculpture has the window position during the summer because it doesn't obscure the garden as much as the flower display.  The flower display has the window position during the winter as there are no flowers out there during the winter.

I always thought the statue was called 'The Kiss' like many other sculptures (for example Rodin and Klimt) so I decided to look it up.  It has a signature on the back which reads 'Martel' so started out by searching on Google.  Not too much success to begin with but eventually tracked it down and found out that it is actually called 'Exchange of Rings'.  The holes in the head signify the rings and the kiss is the first kiss after taking the marriage vows.  I haven't been able to pin down who the sculptor is although there were a couple for French cubist sculptors called Jan and Joel Martel so it could be them.

As with day6 I've been experimenting with my flashgun again.  I was using a shallow depth of field and concentrating on getting the focus on the kiss (or the rings).  Because of the angle I have taken the picture the girls hair is also in focus which is pulling my eye away from the main subject of the image.  I might have a go at blurring the hair to see if it improves the image and I might replace this version of the photo or just add the new version for comparison.

No comments:

Post a Comment