Saturday 3 October 2009

Day 3 - Rainbows End

It has been a very windy day today and there was sunshine and showers most of the day.  I took Evey the dog for a walk and part way around there was a lovely rainbow right across the sky.  I was travelling light so I just had my camera with the 50mm lens because I thought I'd find something for the PAD blog.  What this meant was that I could only get part of the rainbow in the frame.  I did consider taking multiple shots and then stitching them together but I decided that it would be too much trouble.

The rainbow was in the sky for quite a while although at one point I did have driving rain into my face so it wouldn't have been ideal to take a photo then otherwise I'd get water on my lens. I found a spot where I thought the composition was quite good and then waited for the ideal time (decisive moment) to take a photo.

I had moved to a position where the rainbow started (or ended)  from where tree on the left met the trees along the bottom and then went diagonally to the top right of the frame.  The tree on the left was much closer than the other trees although when I look at the picture now that isn't immediately obvious.  I was hoping that it would give the image a bit more depth.

In post processing I have boosted the contrast and saturation to bring out the colours more.  There were a couple of birds in the sky below the rainbow but I cloned them out because they were distracting.  I love the way the cloud in the middle is light above the rainbow and dark below it and that the rainbow is almost exactly across its centre.  The shape of the cloud also rhymes with the shapes of the trees to givethe image a bit of repetition.

During the walk I took quite a few more photos of different things, all with the 50mm lens so now I'm not sure whether to post some on my main blog or to keep them to post on this blog later.  I do think that setting of with just one fixed length lens is making me look a lot more closely at things that I walk past.  Maybe I should just store up the ideas for future posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment