Friday 9 October 2009

Day 9 - Sunrise over Soveriegn

When I set off for work this morning I could see there was some colour coming into the sky so I tried to find a spot to get a good vantage point.  I took a detour from my normal route to work around some of the small country lanes on the hills above New Mill.  The first place I stopped and took some photos was just over the hill from where I'd taken the image for Day 7 so it was more to the South East than to the West.  As the sun crested the horizon there was some beautiful colour in the sky but I had the roofs of some houses and telegraph poles and lines which I wasn't too sure the I liked.  So I moved on to another spot where there were just trees on the horizon which I thought looked more natural.

Unfortunately the sun was rising fast so I was shooting directly into it by this time.  However that had the effect of completely blacking out the foreground to give this lovely silhouette.  Where the sun is on the horizon has produced quite a nice bit of flare into the silhouette which I also like quite a bit.  The part of the picture that is black is actually a working quarry at Sovereign where there is also a pub and a petrol station on the crossroads.  Fortunately it is completely black so the workings of the quarry are hidden.

I took a few more pictures in different directions from here because there was also a bit of mist in the valleys below which also looked quite good.  I moved on again to the windmills near Ingbirchworth but the sun was well above the horizon by now and the stunning colours had given way to some quite pleasant oranges and blues.  You only get ten to fifteen minutes when the sky is at its best and anyway it was also time to get going towards work, although there'll be no-one there this time on a Friday (see Day 2).  I might post some of the other images from this morning on my main blog or maybe here tomorrow because we're going shopping and I might not get the opportunity to take any new photographs.

No comments:

Post a Comment