Thursday 8 October 2009

Day 8 - The Old Tree

Tonight I have spent some time working on this image that I shot on Saturday (or to put it another way, I haven't taken any photos today).  I posted a colour version of this image on my main blog but I did feel that a monochrome version might improve the dark feel of the this old tree.  I'm not sure what type of tree it is.  It looks a bit like an Oak tree but the leaves are the wrong shape so I think it could be Lime. 

When I converted the image to black I wanted to make it very dark and also retain as much contrast as possible to bring out the texture in the trunk and branches.  I used a blue filter for the conversion because it seemed to add more to the contrast then I burned in areas of the trunk and branches to accentuate the shapes. Finally I gave the image a bit of a sepia tone to warm it up a bit.  The pure black and white image still looked a bit flat so the hint of colour perks it up a little.  I'm not sure if the image is a bit dark overall.  I'll live with it for a while and then I might come back and lighten it up a touch if it still feels too dark.

No comments:

Post a Comment