Monday 5 October 2009

Day 5 - Pieris in the Moonlight

It's a very clear night tonight and the moon is almost full.  As the moon rises it has lit up my back garden so I thought it would be a good idea to make some images in my garden.  I tried a few shots of the decking and garden furniture but I was finding that getting anything in focus was quite difficult.  I had the camera lens set to manual focus but in the dark it was hard to see anything through the viewfinder.  So I changed to taking some photos of the plants and I think the best one was of this Pieris flower.

I used my LED torch to light up the plant while I set the focus but the photo itself is purely using the light from the moon.  I set the aperture to f/2.8 to give a little depth of field, set the shutter speed to 30 seconds (which is the maximum without holding the shutter open manually) and then balanced the exposure using the ISO setting.  I underexposed by one stop because I didn't want the image to be over bright so the ISO ended up at 320.  I added blur to the leaves on the right because they were on the same focal plain as the flower but I didn't want them to look in focus. Then I darkened some of the other bits in the background that I felt were too light and distracted from the main subject.  I think it's not bad for a late night effort.

No comments:

Post a Comment